Re: Geez, I wish my lbc were ... or: Oh my gawd, what's that smell!

To: BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net, EUBANK@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
Subject: Re: Geez, I wish my lbc were ... or: Oh my gawd, what's that smell!
From: dave@stargazer.pacdata.com (David Ambrose)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 93 19:19:50 PDT

>Ok, so I see all the messages where folks have gotten their
>various lbcs onto the road, and now mine ... well, ah ... it
>happened this way: I got in the car to run down to the univ for
>an important meeting, and within about a block I noticed a very
>strong odor. Very, VERY strong. Sooooo, figuring what had
>happened the night before, I began patting around on the seat
>beside me, on the carpets, behind the seats (all the while driving,
>of course), and I couldn't locate it. That's when it dawned on
>me: What I was looking for was right under the seat of my
>pants. Actually, it didn't dawn on my brach as it
>did on my bottom. So STOP THE CAR ANDGET OUT FAST! Dumb
>thought, naturally, but one that one does not hesitate to
>follow. Yep, you guessed it: It stank really bad, and I was
>sitting in it.
>Ok, so now comes the question: Anybody got any good ideas on
>how to get cat urine out of my BRAND SPANKING NEW DRIVER'S
>SEAT (not to mention out of my pants and underwear)???????
>This must have been one very full cat, because it not only
>soaked thru the canvas seatsavers, but right thru the seat
>covers, deep into the foam, and onto the carpet. Stinks
>so bad that I can't hardly set foot into the garage ...
>thanks,

        Brutal,  really brutal.  Vinegar will neutralize odiferous chemicals.
Use very liberally.  I would remove the seat, carpeting and the covers for
treatment.

        Most lbc seats are easily dismantled and reassembled so I would
remove the seat cushion and consider replacing it.  If you choose to treat it,
put lots of vinegar on it.

        After the cushion has dried in the sun, put it into a plastic
garbage bag.  Put the hose from your most powerful vacuum cleaner into the bag
and seal the bag.  Use the vacuum cleaner to draw most of the air out from
inside the bag and your cushion.  Repeat several times.

        The vinegar seems to work well enough to keep the cats from using it
again.  Woe unto ye who doeth an incomplete job.  You shall get to repeat
the exercise for kitty's nose will lead them back to this spot.  Best to
keep kitty out of your car. :-)

        Good Luck,
        Dave Ambrose
        dave@pacdata.com