Strange midget noises

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Strange midget noises
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 93 14:08:42 EDT
|Date: 7-15-93  2:07pm
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:BITNET
|Subj: Strange midget noises
   After searching for a month, I finally found out what was making
the awful noise on my midget.  The history of the problem was that I
could hear a horrible grating noise whenever I started from a stop and
an extra clunk on some bumps (not consistently though).  On Tuesday
night I finally found the problem.  When I started the car from cold, a
lound thunking noise was coming from somewhere on the right(passenger)
side of the engine.  After the car ran for a minute, the thunking went
away.  Then I noticed that if I pushed on the engine, something metal
was hitting something else metal.  I looked and looked but couldn't
find what.  So I jacked up the engine under the gearbox and I couldn't
reproduce the metal on metal.  I dropped it down until I could reproduce
the metal on metal.  Ah hah!!! it's the motor mount!!!! yeah, much
rejoicing.
    The problem was that the motor mount had sagged just a bit (brand
new last year, only 2500 miles on it).  As a result the nut holding
the mount to the support from the engine block was barely hitting the
metal part of the rubber motor mount.  So, I turned the bolt around and
put the nut on the other side and the problem was solved.  As a result,
I got new wheel bearings, shocks and rebuilt calipers.

     Later,
        Dean