European Motors Inc, Cal Sales Inc.

To: British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: European Motors Inc, Cal Sales Inc.
From: sggy@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1992 08:01:50 -0500
This week I got copies of some interesting Peerless literature from
Steven Rossi, (a former VTR president), including a technical
article about body construction, some road tests, a sales brochure, and
some US ads- The 1958/59 ads proclaim:
"Now in the USA   Only Gran Tourismo 4-seater priced under $4000!"
                "Peerless"

Right- for the '58 Phase 1, $3985 and '59 Phase 2 at $3995, (Wire wheels,
Overdrive optional). This is only about twice what most cars were selling
for at the time! No small wonder they had sales problems, eh?

Any how, for '58, the US distributer was European Motors Inc,
8811 East Jefferson Ave, Detroit Michigan, and for '59 they
added Cal Sales Inc, 1957 West 14th st, Gardena, California.
My car is from Michigan and would definitly have come through
European Motors. I seem to have vague memorys that they were a
major importer of such cars in the 50's-60's. Does anyone know
anything about these places, or their histories? (or people, like
automotive journalist Peter Egan, who now writes about exploits while
working for a popular NJ dealer of those days)

Roger -North American Peerless Registrar- Garnett

      Roger Garnett           (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."