More ColourTune Questions

Subject: More ColourTune Questions
From: rodb@ee.ubc.ca
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 92 10:22:21 PST
I have a few questions about ColourTune that I should have included in

1. I believe that you can set the mixture using the flame colour.  Is there
   any claims as to how accurate this is?  ie. Can I tune the car well
   enough to pass emissions testing or does it just tell you when your
   mixture is widly off?

2. I like the colortune idea because you can see how each cylinder is
   doing independently.  Is this true in practice or does the fact that
   colortune is a different than a spark plug mess things up? ie. that
   cylinder doesn't burn as well throwing off engine balance.  I would
   think it would be really usefull for multiple carbs.

3. Is it usefull for tuning at speeds other than idle or are you limited
   to that? ie. Does the spark plug hold up under higher rpms, temps,
   pressure etc?

4. I am planning to first use colortune on my VW rabbit to help me diagnose
   a slightly erratic idle and then onto various british beasts.  Are there
   any limitations on which vehicles it will work?  I am thinking of
   spark plug reach in this case.

Any and all comments welcome.  Thanks for your patience.  --rod.

--
Rod Barman, Dept. of E.E., University of British Columbia
rodb@salmon.ee.ubc.ca