RE: soldering wire harnesses

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: soldering wire harnesses
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee M. Daniels, Texas A&M)
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1992 14:53:27 -0600 (CST)
In a private response to me, Jim said:
>Interesting.  Maybe I SHOULD take the thing apart and crimp everything.

Oh, I wouldn't do that.  I just mentioned what I was told, not what I
*do*.(!)  Sure, if I'm putting on spade or bullet connectors, I crimp them
on with a crimping tool. But the way that I usually splice wires, esp. if I
have the wiring out on the workbench, is to twist them together, get a good
hot solder on them, then use heat-shrink tubing to tidy it all up.
Heat-shrink tubing is one of the great underrated inventions of the
electronic industry.  You just have to remember to slide it on before you
put the wires together ;-) !

Lee M. Daniels - Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding - Texas A&M
   daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu  |  DANIELS@TAMLMSB.BITNET  |  (409) 845-3726
        "Naughty, you can reform, but stupid is forever" -Andy Capp