Re: Jag powered corvair

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Jag powered corvair
From: zrol01@trc.amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 92 14:56:16 CST
It is interesting that the Corvair/Jag engine swap was done
in part, because the Jag V12 had "lots of cams" and would
"sound" like a flat-6.  The interest comes from the fact
that tha Jag V12 only has 2 cams.  It's not a dual overhead cam
engine.  It is two single overhead cam inline 6 cylinder engines
rotated 60 degrees apart and multiplexed using a common crank-
shaft.  Is this geek-speak or what?!

It's also interesting that 175 CD-2's we're used.  That would
make it an engine out of an XJ-12 or an E-type.  The first
XJ-S's released in England in 1975, used the Bosch/Lucas fuel
injection.   Some people argue that, even though the horsepower
is rated lower using a carburated fuel supply, the original
V12's we're the hottest.  The had no over-rev protection nor
fuel delivery problems at/or near redline.

The V12 in my 84 XJ-S gets treated VERY nicely.  I run it up
into the 5000's sometimes but never with the engine cold.
The other V12 in the garage is just that, setting in the
garage.  It suffered a fuel fire when a rubber fuel hose split.
Fortunately, the fire did minor damage to things other than
hoses and wiring.  In fact, it didn't even scorch the bonnet
paint!  The down side of the story is that the engine has
been setting (covered, indoors) for 7 years.  Some work will
have to be done...

Well, must go.

Rick

     Richard O. Lindsay        /     __  __      __  __
  Senior Research Scientist   /   / /_/ /_  / / /_/ /_/
  Amoco Production Research  /   / / / /_/ /_/ / / / \
                            / /_/
                           /
My opinions are my own, untill they're worth something, at
which point they become the property of my employer...