Email illegal?

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Email illegal?
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 92 13:39:39 CST
The following was just posted by the operator of several Email mailing lists,
I think this may be worthy of discussion, but for reasons he makes clear, it
cannot be discussed with him or on his lists.  I have deleted direct references
to protect him.  I suggest that any member of his lists don't attempt to post
anything.  This may sound paranoid, but let's not jeopardize his job.

If there are things you would like to tell me, but are reluctant to post, Email
me.  I won't quote you anywhere.

stuff started, things were very simple.  You asked the sysadmin if you
could do this or that, "no problem" and you were set.  We didn't ask
the higher ups (especially in beauracracies) because if you ask the
question, the answer might be "no."  So I never asked and everything
was hunky-dory.

Well it seems someone decided to do some stupid things and got caught
with their shorts down and their rear hanging out in the breeze.
Security and management (or was that manglement?), being what they
are, have decreed that e-mail and/or mailing lists for
non-professional reasons are _illegal_.  Funny, but I can't see it;
but then I can't see a 55 mph limit on most of my fav roads, or
treating my katana like a concealed weapon in a car either.

So, the mailing lists are about to become orphans (once again for the
***-*** folks).  My most sincere apologies to the folks who
recently signed on.  So if anyone would like to take these lists under
their wing and nurture them, please send me a message.  Each of the
lists is just over about 100 subscribers, and all list maintainence
can be handled in about 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.

Expect to not see many postings from .gov sites (especially NASA
sites).  I imagine a few folks will still lurk, but the fact of the
matter is that our mail will be monitored from now on.  So I shan't be
on the lists.  If anyone would like to ping me now and again (make
sure I still have a pulse) please feel free to do so.  But no long
winded discussions.  And I doubt you'll see much of me on the UseNet
groups as this is also defined as "illegal activity".

So long folks; it was fun while it lasted.

Sort of makes you wonder what "stupid things" somebody did.
And can we learn anything from it?
How far does this go?  To all Federal .gov sites?

(my site is municipal, and not connected with the Federal government)

I will be sending a USnail letter of condolence to him.
I don't think the police state has gone that far yet.

I hope he can get some public access.  We will miss him.

phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov