Winter storage

To: hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Winter storage
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 92 11:05:39 EST
>> At the end, it was time to put it away for the Winter.  Normally, I put
>> it up on stands and blocks.  Occasionally, we'll get a blast of warm
>> moist air when the ground (and cars) are still cold with the resulting
>> condensation.  Last year, this happened and the water wicked under the
>> pads on the disks.  The resulting corrosion under the pads was so bad I
>> had to skim the disks.  This time I taped garbage bags around the disks
>> with some silica gel dessicant in the bottom AND moved the pads back
>> from the disks.  I also put small bags of silica gel in the exhaust and
>> air cleaner intake ports before sealing them up.  The battery is out and
>> will be on a trickle charger in a couple of weeks to keep it fresh.

I NEVER will put my car up for winter storage again, I did this about 3 years
ago and spent almost 1 week during spring time trying to get the car going
again.
the main problems were :
1 - clutch plate stuck to flywheel
2 - brake rotors rusted
3 - Clutch slave cylinder leaks(even though  it had just been rebuilt before
storage)
4 - Brake calipers sticking
5 - Gearbox linkage stiff
6 - Numerous small electrial problems - trcaed to corrosion on terminals

Ever since , what I do is during the weekend (when the weather permits),
I go for a 20 miles drive, then when I get home, I hose the underside of
the car to wash away any road salt that the car may have picked up.

Then come spring time, I do not have to do anything special, just turn the key
and zip away.

Gerry