Stewart Warner Oil Pressure Gauge

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Stewart Warner Oil Pressure Gauge
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 92 12:05:04 pdt
When I revived the snake few weeks back I noticed that several
instruments didn't function.  In some cases this wasn't a surprise
because I knew they weren't connected.  For example, the oil temperature
gauge requires a special sensor which is embedded in the oil pan of the
original HiPo engine which is currently leaning against a wall in my
garage.  Similarly the water temp sensor is in the old intake manifold.
The oil temp is a don't care but I do plan to do something about the
water temp.

One gauge that should have worked but didn't was oil pressure.  My
recollection is that it was working when the car was last on the road.
Initially I thought the problem was the sensor unit since it was so beat
up looking and had a badly bent electrical terminal.  Unfortunately the
expensive replacement sensor I bought didn't fix the problem.  Since I
have confirmed that measurable oil pressure exists and that the
connection between the sensor and the gauge is good and that power to
the gauge is present, I've concluded that the gauge itself is the
problem.  I figured I was in luck when I discovered that the auto parts
store that special ordered the sensor for me was unloading it's supply
of Stewart Warner gauges very cheap.  And they had one left in the
correct range (0-80psi).  The style of the faceplate and hand didn't
match those on the old gauge but I figured I could replace them with the
old ones.  Much to my regret the new gauge (which I did buy) has hands
that attach differently.  The old one is pressed onto the shaft below
the faceplate surface and has a dog-leg shape that goes through a
curved slit in the faceplate.  The hand on the new gauge is flat and is
pressed onto a shaft that goes through the faceplate itself.  Sigh.  I'm
still hoping to figure out some way to replace the hand and faceplate on
the new gauge with those from the old one.  Are there any SW instrument
gurus out there?  How about the innards of these gauges.  Does SW still
use the same mechanism in their current gauges that they used in their
'60s vintage oil pressure gauges?  Might I be able to use the guts of
the new gauge in the old one?

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.cdc.hp.com
CSX2282