Re: Midget bonnet release cable

To: jpgordon@well.sf.ca.us
Subject: Re: Midget bonnet release cable
From: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 92 8:23:08 CDT
Joshua Gordon writes about a Midget bonnet release cable >

>Anyone got any good tricks on replacing this annoyance? (The handle on
>mine broke in half, and I'm _real_ tired of using a vise-grip to open
>the front.)

Be sure the cable and latch is well lubricated and maintained so you don't have
to pull so hard.

It may be easier to reach in front of the left front tire and grab the entire
cable sheathing and yank on it to open the hood.

I gave up on the one in my (now departed) '66 Midget.  I amputated the latch
and put in hood pins.  They are easily mounted through the radiator ducting
that is part of the "frame".  On the earlier ones like mine, it is also easy to
mount them on the hinges, so the entire hood can be removed in a flash.  Makes
tuning and maintenance MUCH more convenient.

If you are not interested in the racer look and want to keep the car more
original, I think you can buy the cable from Moss, etc.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
"Some of them drive little sports cars" -Jethro Tull