Re: TR6 rear wheel bearing adjustment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 rear wheel bearing adjustment
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 92 17:33:13 -0600
Scott surmises:

    If I want to rebuild TR6 hubs myself, do all I need is a professional
    hub puller and a dial gauge?

One of the problems with trying to pull the rear hubs apart is with
the wheel mounting flange.  You need something that will apply the pulling
load to all the wheel studs equally, and also support the face of the flange.
It is going to take LOTS of pressure to yank these pups apart.  I'm talking
about using something like a 6 to 8 foot breaker bar, and using it quite
vigourously if at home, or maybe a minimum of a 25 ton press at a shop.

With a good solid fixture clamped to the flange and the whole thing well
secured in a sturdy vise, you might get lucky and pull them apart at home
without warping the flange or breaking anything.  Try to do it at a time
when the local paramedics won't be too busy, just in case ;-)

I did once see a homemade tool for this, it was constructed from maybe 1/4"
steel, and looked like a tophat.  The brim was a thick plate with the four
holes for the wheel studs drilled in it, complete with taper to match
some sturdy lugs.  The center, or the body of the hat, was a 3" diameter
or so piece of steel tube, about three or four inches long welded to the
center of the brim.  This was then capped with another piece of stout plate
welded securely.  The top was drilled so that one could bolt down a good
screw puller (I mean, like > $100 at Snap On) in the center.  The Bentley
manual should have a picture of the Churchill fixture used, this unit was
just a copy of that.

I myself may try this sometime, but chances are I'll buy rebuilt units
from TRF when the time comes.

mjb.