Right/Left Sides. Was: What is LEFT OFF SIDE

To: zahid@serval.sps.mot.com
Subject: Right/Left Sides. Was: What is LEFT OFF SIDE
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 92 09:11:02 pdt
> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 92 09:48:17 CDT
> From: zahid@serval.sps.mot.com (Zahid Ahsanullah)
> To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
> Subject: Re: Re: Re: What is LEFT OFF SIDE
>

> What is considered the right side of the car? are you supposed to be
> facing the car from the front to determine this or is it the other
> way around. I apologise for being so picky but if I screw up on this

I should have been clearer on this.  It's the same reference as for
left and right hand drive, i.e. from the driver's seat point of view
while sitting in the car.

Right-hand thread:  tighten clock-wise; loosen counter-clock-wise.  If
you have anything that uses liquid propane (or other flammable gases),
you'll find that the tank or bottle has left-hand threads.

Left-hand thread: reverse of above.

In forward gears both rear wheels are turned by the differential so that
the car is is driven forward.  On the left side that's counter-
clock-wise (facing the wheel from the side of the car); and on the right
side the direction of rotation is clock-wise.  Inertia will tend to
make the heavy knock-off resist this rotation during acceleration which
results in tightening if the threads are correct (i.e.  opposite the
direction of rotation).  At least I think that's the way it works.

> I did find out though that if you are facing the car from the front,
> the knockoff on the front wheel on the right side of the car is labelled
> LEFT (near) SIDE and the rear is labelled RIGHT (off) SIDE. On the left
> side of the car, the front wheel is labelled RIGHT (off) SIDE and the rear
> LEFT (near) SIDE. So guys are right that the hub has been put in wrong

Your rear hubs are on wrong.  Both front and rear on the same side
should be the same!  Find out who did the work and have them correct
this.  Also make them fix any damage that resulted form the wheel coming
off, for no charge.  If they don't, tell them you will sue.  There's no
excuse for this kind of incompetentence from a professional.  In future,
don't let them touch you car again.

Roland