Portland All British Field Meet wrapup

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Portland All British Field Meet wrapup
From: Nelson Yaple <Nelson_Yaple@ccm.hf.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 92 09:46:01 PST
          In a word it was GREAT!  Lots of great cars, reportedly over
          500.  It seems the cars are getting nicer every year.
          Saturday had great weather for the car display.  The Best On
          the Field was a 1936 Humber Landulette.  The Humber was limo
          of sorts. Beautiful car.  Lots of MG's, Triumphs, Morgans,
          TVR's, Lotuses, Mini's, Sunbeam's, Austin's, and most of all
          Jaguars.

          I had my MGB GT with a 3 foot tall Gumby in the hatch
          drinking Tea.  The gimick must have worked since I got 2nd
          place People's Choice.  All the credit goes to my wife
          linda, for the idea and making of Gumby.  First place went
          to perfect 67 MGB/GT Special, BRG aniversary edition.

          Both Greg and I had our SOL flags out but we did not
          encounter any other SOLers.

          Sunday had the Rallye, Swap Meet, Giant Slalom, Mini
          Funkhana, and the Valve Cover races.

          I tried rallying for the first time, what a hoot, I'm
          hooked.  The rallye featured a Le Mans start, at 8:00am they
          handed checkpoint clues and a map.  We stupidly thought that
          we had to do the checkpoints in order.  After the 3rd
          checkpoint (after 60 miles) the forth checkpoint took us
          very close (within a mile to the first checkpoint).  It was
          more of a treasure hunt where we had to get information
          mostly from historical markers.  Anyway the proper way to do
          this kind of rallye (I suppose) is first locate all the
          checkpoints on a map, find the best path to all the
          checkpoint and GO.  We ended up missing 7 checkpoints out of
          24.  Still had a great time.

          The Valve Cover races were interesting.  These guys are
          serious. One spent over $200 to build one out of two Jaguar
          valve covers. Our Valve cover was given to me by the guys
          at Faspec, its off an Austin Marina. I spent $3.00 on a can
          of paint and used some old decals. We came away with the
          Chairmans Choice award for best looking and 2nd fastest
          overall.

          My wife fell in love with a car for sale a 1966 Austin
          Princess Vanden Plas R.  It has a Rolls Royce 6 Cylinder.
          Anybody know anything about these?  This one is in excellent
          shape and is original.

          Well enough of my dribble,

          Nelson.