re: TR Stag questions

To: dstarr@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: re: TR Stag questions
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 8 Sep 1992 15:23 EDT
>From magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu!dstarr Tue Sep  8 14:58:02 1992
>From: Dwight Starr <dstarr@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
> A friend of mine has just purchased a 1972 Stag.
>We have a few questions.
>
>1. Where can we find a source for information on this car?  It has
>some kind of V8 but we don't know what it is.
>We need repair manuals, parts sources etc.

The engine is a single overhead cam (one cam for each side of the V8)
type that was exclusively developed and used in the Stag.  No other
production automibile has the Stag engine.  The engine does not have
a great mechanical longevity history as there is a significant
conversion business in the UK that replaces the Stag engine with
any one of several other engines, usually a Ford or GM V6 of some
type.

For parts and service manuals, contact The Roadster Factory at
1-800-234-1104.  Other parts sources in the US are: Eightparts
in Tucson, AZ.  Eightparts phone number from an old business card
is 603-622-1290.  Other than that, get a Hemmings Motor News and scan
the T section for other possible sources.  Also, the UK connection
should be considered, check for Stag info/listings in Thourohbred and
Classics magazine.

If it wasn't for the engine, the Stag is a beautifully styled 4 place
touring car.  It can be kept running well, but damage to the engine
(eg. timing chain failure leads to pistons hitting valves) can be
expensive to repair.

>2.  He is having trouble getting into first and reverse from neutral at a
>stoplight.  Is this just the clutch adjustment or tran problems?
>The problem is intermittant. Isn't that fun!,

Well, I'd try bleeding the hydraulic clutch first and see if that helps.
That's a no cost (assuming you do it yourselves) immediate possibility.

And, of course, you should join the Vintage Triumph Register if you
plan on keeping the car, assuming you are not already a member.

>If anybody is familiar with this auto please send e-mail.  We haven't found
>much info about this car.

The Stag was produced from 1970 to 1977, but only imported to the USA
during the 1970-73 model years.  About 25,000 Stags in total were
built with about 3000 shipped to the USA.  Almost all the Stags in
the USA seemed to have originally come with both the hardtop and softtops.

Note - If email replying to me with an automatic addressing process
bounces, manually address the resend using one of the addresses below.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com