Re: electric spitfire

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electric spitfire
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 92 07:47:11 -0700
Jim Fuerstenber writes:g

>There was an interesting article in Sun 6 Sept Chicago Tribune.  The story
>focused on a fellow who restored, butchered whatever, his 79 Spitfire by
>converting it to battery power, e.g. an electric vehicle. The Spitfire looks
>pretty stock until you open the bonnet, and of course, there is the abscence
>of an exhaust system.
>
>the range was a bit limited, say 50-60 miles, but the owner stated that the
>acceleration (0-60 in 12.4) was better than as given in contemporary road tests
>of the car when new.

Oddly enough, I saw a pair of electrified LBCs this summer, on display at
one of the local Jazz and food festivals.  They were converted TR-7s,
called "ER-7s" by the guy who'd done the adaptations.  One was a daily
driver, and the other was a race car.  (I'm not sure what kind of
competition he used it in though.)

As I recall, each had 24 deep-cycle batteries wedged here and there, and
a hurkin' big electric motor.  I believe the weight was somewhat greater
than a normal TR-7, but he claimed a top speed of 70mph, and a range of
200 miles.

-coryc