Re: TR7 rotors (and other elliptical shapes)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR7 rotors (and other elliptical shapes)
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1992 09:54:17 CDT
Greg Fieldson (fieldson@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu) writes:
> My brake rotors are out of round. Hmm. I put on remanufactured calipers
> sometime this spring, and a new rotor on one corner. [...] ...discard the
> rotors at .373 inches, that mine were .377 and .333(!). [...] I would like
> to know what the rotors should be so I can tell him.

Uh, are you saying that the new rotor is already below listed minimum? Odd.
Regarding the out-of-round (warped?) problem, perhaps they got warped by
brisk application of an impact wrench. BMWs and Hondas suffer from this.
Definitely better to tighten them with a torque wrench, despite the extra
time required. Can you find a minimum thickness number cast anywhere on the
rotor? (Perhaps in or around the hub?)

-- Andy

> "The red TR7 in Balt./Wash, with the    The Johns Hopkins University
> custom 2-tone headlamps, that's me!"    Baltimore, Maryland  21218

2-tone headlamps??? :-)