Anti-Sway bars and MGBs, OOPS!

To: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
Subject: Anti-Sway bars and MGBs, OOPS!
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1992 16:58:35 -0700

Phile scribed:>
\IMHO these tires are too wide for the 5.5" wheels. They are at 65% and I never
\like to run below 70%.  195s would be OK, at 72%, but 185-60-14 really work
\well at 75.5%.  My buddy Brian autocrosses with this setup, and it works fine.
\He would not go to bigger tires without wider wheels.

My question what are the percentages and what do they mean?

Is it percentage of tire that meets the ground in relation to how wide
the wheels are?

What formula is used to determine how wide of a tire that will fit a
given wheel?

Everybody that I talked to before purchasing these tires said my wheels
were plenty wide. And some of the folks that I talked to had nothing to
gain or lose by telling me such things(they were not tire salesperson(s)).
The tires do not bulge at the sides or anything. When I do hard turns I
do not run on the sidewalls, and I might add I am getting good tire wear
from them.

Even the folks I talked to at Super Shops where I bought the tires said
the same as above. I even mentioned that I was interested in a set of
whells they had in stock, in which case I would have thought that they
would have told me that they indeed were too wide for the wheels that I
was putting them on.

How about some enlightenment on the subject of tire sizes and wheel
sizes, as I am completely in the dark here.

Thanks in advance,

Bruce...