It's here! The MkII SOL Logo!

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: It's here! The MkII SOL Logo!
From: Ben Hodson <hodsonb@prl.phil.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 92 09:11:33 +0100
Hi There,

        Several things, first of all , last weekend I went to see
some racing at Brands Hatch.  Several races took place from formula 3
to Esso championship saloon car .  But by far and away the best
was the TVR tuscan racing.  To satart of with all I could hear was
this awesome noise coming from the pits, then one by one they
emerged from the pit lane entrance and turned hard to line up on the
grid as they turned the corner they were fishtailing all over the place.

        When the race actually started it was apparent that these cars
had verging on too much power.  They looked a real handfull.  But the
noise they made as they flew past was simply wonderfull.

        Secondly, what is it about my car (Spitfire 1500) ?  I advertised
it for sale (as part of my get Caterham 7 plan) and it starts to play
up - how does it know that it has been advertised ?

        The symptons are pretty straight-forward,  first of all it started
to run slightly rough - only slightly - then it started to leak oil from
first of all the timing chain cover and then the rocker cover.  The main
cause seems to be that the oil system is pressurising.  At idle if I take
the  oil filler cap off the car sucks a little, but when I then rev the
engine it starts to blow what looks like exhaust out.  This seems to point to
either a shot piston ring o r shot valve guides. I can buy a compression
tester and see what each cylinder comes up with and then try a bit of oil
in each cylinder to check the piston rings. But has anyone else got any ideas ?

        How expensive does all this sound ?
Ben Hodson                                hodsonb@prl.philips.co.uk