removing paint from alloy wheels

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: removing paint from alloy wheels
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James A. TenCate)
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 92 21:51:29 -0500
I suspect this subject has already been beat to death but...

I need to remove the paint from the alloy wheels on my TR-8.  Any
recommended chemicals that would be "safe" (or should I just find
a place to shell or bead blast them clean)?  BTW, I DO have a friend with
a sandblasting attachment for his compressor.  However, I'm told
sand will pit the alloy.  Can you just go down and buy beads or
shells instead of sand?  Where would you go to find beads or shells
if they ARE available?

Second question:  Once the wheels are clean, will any old primer work?
I'm planning on using the Wire Wheel Silver that Moss sells (spray can)
and finishing with a clear coat...

To save bandwidth, send messages to me directly:  jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

Thanks!
L8er,