Re: VIN plates

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VIN plates
From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 92 09:00:07 CDT
There is another secret location for VIN numbers on most of
the British cars, British Heritage in the U.K.  I used to have
the address... for $40/car they will send you the original build
sheets.  For the TR6 this info includes:

VIN number (on windshield and left door post)
Body ID number (on the firewall)
Engine number (above/rear of the distributor on block)
Exterior color code
Interior color code
Top color
Accessories - tonneau, O/D, etc.
Key codes for all 3 keys (door, trunk, ignition)
Wheel type (wire or steel disc)
Tire type (redline, etc., etc.)
Destination (import port or car dealership)
Other info

I was trying to buy the whole book, or find a way to quickly
research a car, i.e. look at a used car and check the original
records to verify the parts combination on the spot.
It seems if this stuff were on-line you could find your car
with the 3 key numbers alone.

I wouldn't care if the VIN plate has been restored, but I'd
be more than a little upset if I found the plate had been
changed to show the parts matched:
    "yeah, the '73 engine is original... see the NEW '71 plate"

Is there is a group discount available for local club use?

As an aside, the sample was a '70 yellow TR6 with a WHITE top.

Roger