Engine pull on 1500 midget

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Engine pull on 1500 midget
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 92 10:14:35 EDT
|Date: 4-27-92  10:14am
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu}:INTERNET
|Subj: Engine pull on 1500 midget
   Finally after owning the car for three years and not driving it very
much, the engine and gearbox came out of my '76 midget.  With much help
from Scott Paisley, we were able to get the engine and gearbox out and
get the engine mounted on a stand in only 6 hours.  Now I have the
engine living in a corner of my room waiting to be taken apart.
   I have some question about the gearbox which I hope I can get some
help with.  The gearbox made a lot of moise in all of the gears and the
synchros didn't work too well on downshifts.  After I had the gearbox on
the floor, I shifted into the gears and turned the rear flange.  None of
the gears made strange noises or made it difficult to turn.  One big
problem I noticed was the pin that the arm holding the realease
bearing pivots on wasn't there.  It looks like the arm had wedged itself
into the section of the bellhoising and enabled it to pivot enough to
release the clutch.  Could something like this cause the griding gears
etc?
   Any guidlines on how to tell if a gearbox part is worn or not.  I was
going to buy a rebuilt one, but I think I would rather try to do it
myself while I have the opportunity to learn more.

    Thanks for any help,
        Dean