More on Spitfire boxes

To: sol
Subject: More on Spitfire boxes
From: mjb (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 92 09:41:14 -0600
In discussing swaps of Spit boxes, remember that the earlier 1500 cars had
one style of tranny, much like the earlier Mark 3 and 4.  The later Spitfires
had a different box, like the one in the TR7.  Mating this later box to an
earlier motor will be more trouble than doing so with the earlier box.

When I put the 1147 motor in my Spitfire 1150, I used the '74 gearbox, slave
cylinder and clutch cover.  Bolted right up, but I did have to add a spacer
(distance piece) to the clutch slave rod to get proper throw.

mjb.
ps: Steve B., Does your brother HAVE to keep the early non-synchro box?