cylinder liners

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: cylinder liners
From: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1992 17:25 PST
Could someone please settle this for me.

I have been told that the 1500 Spit/Midget engine does NOT have cylinder
liners.I know the 1300 Spit engine does NOT, but on pg 66 of the Haynes Spit
manual it
shows the engine with liners.
Also I KNOW the 1300 and 1500 engines have different head gasgets.  The 1500
gasget has a thicker sealing ring around the 4 cylinder holes as it locates
in a "groove" in the block that circles each cylinder.  I thought this "groove"
was where the liners (I am assuming they have liners) sat alittle lower than
the top of the deck of the block.
The 1300 has no groove and no liners.

Cheers DW