Re: RE: storing used brake bits

To: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU
Subject: Re: RE: storing used brake bits
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 93 15:25:29 pst
> Date:    Fri, 29 Jan 1993 14:36:24 -0600 (CST)
> From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Another Crystallographic Triumph)
> Subject: RE: storing used brake bits
> To: min@Kodak.COM, british-cars@autox.team.net
>
> >What should I do to prevent corrosion and breakdown of the seals?
>
> Here's what I did:
>
> 1. Drain all the lines and cylinders of fluid, then rinse them out with
> acetone.  (Unless you're using the silicone fluid, you've got to get rid of
> all the brake fluid or else it will absorb moisture.)  Polyethylene squirt
> (not spray) bottles like chemistry labs use are great for rinsing things
> with acetone, but keep it away from sparks and flames. Let the parts dry
> thoroughly in a warm place.  Blow out the rinsed lines with dry air or
> nitrogen.  (The acetone will also absorb a little moisture if in a confined
> space and can't evaporate.)

Not sure I agree about the acetone.  Acetone is a mineral spirit which
should is a never be mixed with brake fluid.  Having said this, I have
to admit to violating this rule myself, on occasion.  Still, the only
safe brake fluid (glycol based) solvents I'm aware of are water and
alcohol.  What I generally do is rinse thoroughly with water, leech the
water out with alcohol, then blow dry.

> 3. Get some of those heavy-duty Ziploc freezer bags and bag up all the
> parts to keep out air and moisture.  I hung the long brake lines up on my
> garage wall after they dried out.

I'd toss a desiccant into the Z-lock for good measure.

Roland