alternate alternator answer

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: alternate alternator answer
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdbc.spd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 93 11:12:38 PST
Last weekend I spent some time diagnosing an alternator problem
which was some what similar to the low output voltage problem
recently described. After a recent engine rebuild, my alternator was
not keeping the battery charged. When I measured the voltage accross
the battery It didn't go up to a decent level until the engine was
running fairly fast. At a couple K-rpm it was decidedly low. Changing
to another alternator didn't fix the problem.

OK, cut to the chase:
The problem was pully diamiter. If you buy a rebuilt alternator it
may be listed for several differant cars. They may use differant size
pullys. The pully that comes with the rebuilt may not be exactly the
same as your car's original. Also the same car may have used differant
diameter pullys in different years. In my case finding the old pullys
and putting them on solved the problem. It now generates at a
feasonable level at a moderate rpm.
/dick