TR7/parts cars?

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: TR7/parts cars?
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James A. TenCate)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 93 11:43:23 -0600
Net wisdom requested:

There is a guy in town (an artist, actually a potter) who's got this white
late 76 TR7.  He got it from this guy who owed him some money and it had
some sort of engine trouble (timing chain failure I think) when he got
it.  He knew this mechanic guy who offered to work on it weekends (seems
the mechanic owed him a little money too).  Anyway, the mechanic moved and
he left him with the car engine pretty much disassembled.  The artist guy
(Murray) took it to a fairly reputable shop here in town and wanted it put
back together.  He had already purchased all the parts.  Still, by the
time the shop guys added up all the labor and some work they still had to
do, they wanted $800 to fix the car up so it's running again.  Murray
wants OUT.  He's got his eye on a GM pickup.  Soooo, what should he do?

I talked with him briefly and found out it's got the Rover 5 speed in
it(!)  A used 5 speed oughta be worth something > $500 alone.  Basically,
I suggested he try and sell it AS IS as a parts car.  *HE* was thinking if
he got it running again he might be able to sell it for $3K or so.  I told
him he was dreaming but maybe he could sell it for $2K if it were in
REALLY nice shape.  It IS a Texas car, i.e., no rust.  Actually, this car
might make a good candidate for a TR7-V8 conversion.  Anyway, what do you
guys think?  Anyone interested?  How much do parts cars go for these
days?  What would you recommend?

jim
jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu