TR4 brakes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 brakes
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 93 12:18:46 GMT
Hi,

The front brakes on my TR4 have almost stopped working & I cant
quite figure out why. Its stopping on the rear system.

Here's the situation. I rebuilt the brakes with: new master cylinder seals,
new flexible brake hoses, new front cylinders pistons & seals a couple of
years ago and the system worked just fine - TR4 brakes are very strong.
The components I didnt touch were in good shape.

Last summer I noticed that the front brakes were not doing their stuff
& I couldnt figure it out - a thorough bleeding seemed to cure it
back to 100%.

Now the problem has returned. I havent had a chance to take a close
look; the only clue is that the fluid level is down about 1/2 inch.
Was replacing those pistons a bad idea? Braking is improved if I
pump once, so a sure sign that air has got in ...!

Any hints or clues appreciated - I'm using the regular (not silicon)
brake fluid.

Regards, Adrian
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk