fuel pumps, a contrary opinion

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: fuel pumps, a contrary opinion
From: Michael Sands <sands@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 93 11:31:31 -0800
I have 40DCOE Webers on the Super Seven and wanted to go more
reliable on the pump.  I have owned a late model Corvette, autox'd
it with little fuel in the tank, and had to replace the fuel pump in
it.  The fuel sloshing around in a high gee environment broke the backet
loose inside the tank.  The pump is mounted in the bottom of the tank.
The repair resulted in the intimate examination of the pump, a rotary
vane type.  Technology has made wonderful strides in certain designs.

I know this is contrary to all that we SOL'rs hold sacred, but I like
some of the new stuff.  I researched the rotary vane type and decided
on Carter.  They have two models, one high pressure and and one low,
around 5psi.  The Webers are sensitive to too much pressure, liking
around 3 psi.  Smith recommends the Holly pressure regulator and so
my Seven now has the low pressure Carter mounted near the tank, new
rubber line (none of that braded stuff near the aluminium body work, please),
and the Holly pressure regulator near the carbs.

Regarding the choke, yes, I have them.  No, they are not connected.  Here
in California, it is warm enough, and the floats leak enough so that I
just need to pump the accelerator a bit to get it all running.  This was
the original reason for the fuel pump.  The float bowls would evaporate
and require excessive engine cranking to prime the bowls with fuel.

My Seven is named Nimby, for obvious reasons and after a whimsical cloud
in a children's book by the same name by Jasper Tomkins.

Michael