Re: Lunatic Ramblings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lunatic Ramblings
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1993 10:40 EDT
Well,

My TR6 is called Carmine. This is due to the fact that the original color was
called Carmine. It's been called that since new (1974). I always pictured
driving it through the hills and dales with the hood stowed in the boot and
playing opera through the stereo, don't know why. I don't even really like
opera. Oh well. I like the car, however. (Make that LOVE the car.)

I also drive a VW Golf, that I named "Gustav". Just prior to buying the car, I
had read a story about a German WWII ace pilot (the name slips me, but I think
it was Adolf Galland). One of his planes was a BF109-G which he called Gustav.
He was very attached to the plane, and was very saddened when he had to eject
from the plane to save his a-- after some sort of mechanical problem. At any
rate, I developed quite an attachement to the car, and felt that calling it
Gustav would be an honor to the car. The car seems to like me back, despite how
hard I drive it.

My family has always named cars. Some memorable names: Sturdley (1926
Studebaker), Dreamboat (1940 Ford convertible), Scout (aka Das Rot Baron, 1966
IH Scout 800a mit Kompressor), The Grey Ghost (1954 Ford Victoria) etc.

rml

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |