Re: XJS fuel odor advice needed.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, paulw@hppafcba.pafc.hp.com
Subject: Re: XJS fuel odor advice needed.
From: zrol01@trc.amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 93 16:00:20 CST
My '84 XJ-S stinks too.  The local Jag wizard says that is the
result of the pressurized  and closed fuel system.  That is,
the system is closed to the atmosphere.  Have you noticed the
amount of escaping gas fumes when you fill-up from a near empty
tank?   My "s" really blows a lot of vapor out when I open the
filler cap.  The explaination is that the fuel odor is gas vapor
that leaks from the system and gets traped in the boot.  Where it
leaks from is your good guess.  The fuel pump, fittings, vapor
return line?  Who knows.  I have seen the fuel system REPLACED
in an XJ-S, including the tank, to get rid of the odor - except
that it didn't!  The new system was a bad as the old one.  You
know, a very unhappy customer...

The only advice that I can give is "Don't smoke in the boot."

Rick
     Richard O. Lindsay        /     __  __      __  __
  Senior Research Scientist   /   / /_/ /_  / / /_/ /_/
  Amoco Production Research  /   / / / /_/ /_/ / / / \
                            / /_/
                           /
My opinions are my own, until they're worth something, at
which point they become the property of my employer...