Re: Jaguar on holiday

To: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher), british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Jaguar on holiday
From: sggy@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1993 08:31:31 -0500
Scott Fisher scribed:
 Subject: Jaguar on holiday
> This was the first time I have taken the Jag out of the city limits
>
> One behaviour that did confuse me was that on the trip to Esperance travelling
> continuously for 7 hours at 70 mph ... the Jag consumed about 0.2 gal of oil
> However on the same
> trip home about a week later it didn't consume a drop...perhaps 0.02 gal (100
> ml) at the most.
> Scott # 2

Have you ever heard of an Italian Tune-up? What you're describing
sounds like one of the reasons cars must be driven, not packed away
in a garage somewhere! What likely happened, is that by getting it out
and driven, you finally got the engine warmed up enough to burn off
carbon and other deposits in the combustion chambers, and around the
piston rings. This in turn can allow the rings to move and seat better,
therefore letting less oil by to be burnt. If this is the case,
you should now have more power, as well.
      Roger Garnett           (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"