RE>re- Classic car auto ins

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE>re- Classic car auto ins
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 21 Oct 91 11:48:30
        Reply to:   RE>re: Classic car auto insura
    You know, this whole classic car insurance thing really pushes my buttons.
Last time I discussed this with my insurance 'droid, he told me that "stated
value" insurance coverage is no longer available here.  This means that I
cannot purchase normal full-coverage insurance for my cars.  Well, of course, I
can go out an buy it, but if the car is hit, the company will say "Lessee, the
blue book value of you car is.... ZERO, Mr. Kaidor.  Our
check for the full amount will be in the mail immediately!

       Folks like J.C.  Taylor offer insurance of vanishingly low cost,  but
there's that "driving it to work" restriction.  Now, I don't know about you
other LBC freaks, but I have a very busy life, and if I can't drive my car to
work once in a while, that basically means that I don't get to drive it at all.

    I would be willing to pay a fair price (  more than a J.C.  Taylor policy
), for a full-coverage policy that would let me drive my cars in a reasonably
normal manner, keeping in mind that they would not be the "main" commute car.
What irks me, is that I cannot buy such insurance right here and right now, for
ANY price.

   One argument that my agent gave me was that the insurance company promises
to fix the car in a timely manner.  Given limited availability of replacement
body parts, this may  be a hard promise to keep.  Comments?

     - Jerry