RE: Stecz and the Bugeye

To: dstone@sc9.intel.com (DSTONE 5-9521 BPR: 237-2322)
Subject: RE: Stecz and the Bugeye
From: phile@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 91 15:04:00 CDT
DSTONE writes >>

John Steczkowski writes \

the plate in my Europa, and my numbers match.
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>Typo Phil, you forgot to say Nyaahhh-nyahhhh<<

Well EXCUSE ME!

Still using that joke, huh Daren?  Everybody else goes out for coffee on their
breaks here.  I crack up at my desk when I trip over stuff like this.

\This has spoke rims.

Certainly not original.

>>     Whoops, hold it ! Yes, wire wheels
>>     WERE available on the Bugeye, as the Le Mans option, if
>>     my memory serves me correct. Also included an oil
>>     cooler and a different rear-end ratio I believe.

No kidding?  Never heard of these.  Were they the same wheels later offered on
the Spridgets?  I have heard of Sebring Sprites, but they were quite different:
Fastback coupes with special bodywork.  And they had steel disk wheels, I
believe.  To be a Le Mans car, I would assume a longer gear ratio for top end.
I never knew of anything longer than the 4.22:1 standard gears until the 1275
Spridgets started using the 3.90:1 gears (1969?  I don't know).

>>     I'm sure that this car has been retrofitted, as a Le Mans
>>     Bugeye would command much more $$ than that.<<

How would the seller know it is a "Le Mans Bugeye"?  For that matter, how can
John find out?  Are there serial numbers?  I just don't remember ever hearing
about these things.  Where did you find out about them?

     >>addendum courtesy of dstone@sc9.intel.com, driver of
     >>Bugeyes, luster of Loti .......<<

Well, my Lotus is not that lustrous, but someday in the future...

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105, w (612) 298-5324  phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov or uiucuxc!pwcs!phile
"The workingman's GT-40" - Colin Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324