Water pump woes, part II

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Water pump woes, part II
From: Wayne Angevine <angevine@badger.colorado.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 91 09:01:44 mdt
Thanks for all the good advice on my Datsun 2000 water pump.  I've
gotten suggestions for several different kinds of gasket sealer,
including none at all.  I ordered the pump-to-block gasket from one
of the speciality houses last night.  The pump-to-backplate gasket
is not available separately.  The guy I spoke to says that's the one
that usually leaks, but that's OK, because the screws have usually
corroded in place so you can't get the backplate off anyway.  New
water pumps are around $100.  So the plan is to pull the pump and see
if I can tell where it's leaking.  If it's leaking at the block, I'll
clean up the mating surfaces, put on some sealant and the new gasket,
and hope for the best.  (The best probably being that the next leak is
somewhere else.)  If it appears to be leaking at the backplate, I'll
see what I can do about getting it apart.  There is no indication that
the bearings are worn, but I'll check that too.  I should be able to pull
the pump without removing the radiator, although I will pull the shroud.
I've replaced water pumps before on other vehicles (a '62 International
and two 510s) but never on one that seemed to be so allergic to its own
coolant.

Just for amusement and to verify that this really is a British car,
despite its place of manufacture, I'll relate that there are three
bolts holding the water pump in place.  One takes a 12mm wrench, one
takes a 13mm, and the third takes a 14mm.  Go figure.

While I'm posting, I'd like to ask about oil coolers.  I'll have to find
one for this particular car, of course, but are there brands to seek
out or avoid?

Wayne