Re: Cars in movies

To: djz6r@fixit.cs.virginia.edu
Subject: Re: Cars in movies
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 91 16:07:42 PDT

|    Speaking of cars in old shows,................

I'm glad to hear that so many SOLs watched The Avengers. I seem to remember
Mrs Peel driving an Elite and Steed a "Blower" Bentley (same as Bond in the
books).

To the list of cars and movies, I'll add two that are near and dear to me.

  1  Jim Bergerac as the detective on the isle of Jersey in the TV seriers
"Bergerac"
drives an old Triumph 1800 or 2000 Roadster similar to mine but red in color.
(Friday nights, channel 54, for those of us near San Jose)

  2  Humphrey Bogart in the movie "CASABLANCA" walks into the "blue parrot" and
sez to Sydney Greenstreet......"The bus is in . I want my share of the
cigarettes"..
We folks It's my bus he's talking about. The bus is on the screen for maybe 10
seconds,
but its famous. It was owned by Warner Brothers for over 50 years and had small
parts
in many movies. The bus was built in 1923 using a REO frame and a 400 cu in
Lincoln-Lealand
V8 for power. Highway busses were usually hand built in those days. It actually
goes
fast for its day. I have pictures of three of the Warner brothers sitting in it
befor
their studio became a sucess.

Recently I saw a movie where it was on the screen for more time than Bogart. It
was
an Eddy Cantor movie in which many WarnerBros stars had walk on parts,
including Bette Davis
and Bogart. I only caught part of it. I wish I could find a video tape of it.
The oldest movie I've personally seen it in was "Footlight Parade" (Jimmy
Cagney,1933)
The newest was "The Cardinal", although I know it was in others after that.
A few years ago Warner sent a guy up from Hollywood for two days to look it
over and
consider it for use in "the Thornbirds", but they decided on another slightly
newer
one instead. They were talking about renting it for several months at a fairly
nice $$.
In every movie they put another coat of paint over the old signs and painted
new ones
for that movie. Now it's painted as a mexican-bus from it's last movie. If you
look
through the faded coats of paint you can see many of the other signs, such as
"Warner Bros First National Film Studios" and "VITAPHONE TALKING PICTURES, inc"
as wellas a state map of Oklahoma. (from "no time for sargents" maybe)

Well back to work//dickn
See what kind of arcane trivia you can get side tracked with if you let people
talk about
their non Brit-cars....Don't say you weren't warned  ;^)