LUCAS REGULATORS

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: LUCAS REGULATORS
From: Jerome Kaidor <mit-eddie!synoptics.com!jkaidor@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 90 13:22:33 -0700
   Well, it looks like its new-battery time for the trusty TR2.  I had noticed
that it was charging most of the time, and now it just boiled all the water out
of the old battery. :(  The battery was old and grey anyway, time for a change.
So my question for the collected british-car wisdom of netland is this:

   The regulator is apparently malfunctioning.  These old Lucas regulators are
_ADJUSTABLE_.  The TR2 manual says to disconnect both the outputs, and set the
voltage control for a certain no-load voltage with the engine running 1500 RPM.
The voltage they give is for 20 degrees C, if your temperature is different you
must compensate.  They give the compensation factor.  This adjustment has to be
accomplished within thirty seconds, or the shunt coil will heat up and cause a
bad adjustment.  Now, I had a similar problem with my MGA once upon a time, and
I adjusted IT for "effect".  That is, I carried a screwdriver with me at all
times, and adjusted the regulator down until it charged for a while after
starting the car, and then ceased charging.  Having a dash-mounted ammeter help
ed.  It took me about a week to get it right.  Now, does anybody know a method
that's easier than the shop manual's way, and quicker than _my_ way?

   - Jerry Kaidor ( 55 TR2 with dead battery, '58 MGA in pieces, presently
                    riding motorcycles )