Insurance

To: "bcr!aerospace.aero.org!srt"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: Insurance
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 18 Sep 1990 13:11 EDT
>Actually, the main reason I didn't buy it was the insurance situation.
>If I remember correctly from the last time I discussed this with an
>insurance agent, adding liability coverage for a second car costs roughly
>the same as the first car.  It *seems* like it shouldn't cost anything
>extra.  After all, you can only drive one car at a time.

The above, in reference to a 1975 Sprite.
This brings up the subject once again about "collector car
insurance" which is available from several different
specialty insurers at significant cost savings (you do
have to minimize use of the vehicle within certain guidelines)
as well as special insured vehicle catagories sometimes available
from your regular insurance company (eg. State Farm).

The specialty insururers usual require a clean record to gain
their coverage in the first place.  Additionally, you must state
that you won't drive the vehicle as an everyday car and total annual
mileage will not exceed 2500 miles.  Coverage usually excludes any type
of driving competition (eg. autox, rally, etc)
Most specialty carriers also ask what club(s) you belong to.
The premise (IMHO) being that membership in a marque club
indicates a higher degree of concern for the care and well
being of the vehicle to be insured. (So, here's another
good reason to join at least one national club that supports
your british marque of choice).

"British Cars" magazine did an indepth article on classic insurance
about a year or so back.

Most people seem to think that to get such coverage the car must be
an antique, over 25 years old.  Not always true!  You may have to
try several different carriers (they all advertise in Hemmings
Motor News every month) and you may have to press your insurance
agent to check the different "classifications" for your regular
insurance company.  But you may be pleasantly surprised if you
dig deep enough.

Hope this helps.

Bill Sohl