Re: Elan Headlamps

To: alliant!british-cars@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Elan Headlamps
From: mit-eddie!think!ames!eeg.eeg.com!akkana@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Akkana)
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 1990 14:38:48 PDT
Paul Homchick writes:
> The correct solution seems to be to fabricate new linkages from
> miniature heim-joints and threaded rod.  Have any of you Lotus owners
> done this? And, do any of the rest of you have better suggestions for

I'm not a Lotus owner (alas! -- and if Elans have really gone up to
$30k from the $8-10k where they were just a year ago, I may never be :={ )
but I did this on my X1/9 and it works fine.  The headlights still
bounce badly, but that's because the sheet metal where the linkages
attach has been crumpled too many times and the tensioner isn't in
the right place any more.  But I'm happy with the rod-end fabricated
linkages -- there's no play in the linkage now, they're easier to adjust
than the stock linkages, and I'm sure they'll last a lot longer.

--
        ...Akkana