wood dash finishes

To: british-cars%alliant.alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: wood dash finishes
From: "Teriann J. Wakeman" <mit-eddie!APPLE.COM!twakeman@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 90 11:49:09 -0700
At the Portland meet I saw a MGBGT with interior wood trim - most cool

What the person did was replace the door trim just below the window {wood
covered with foam & nagahide} with polished hard wood. It looked nice but
needed more wood. Looking at the dash on my '68 BGT on the way into work,
it looks like veneer would fit nicely where the instrument cluster is &
on the lower area that contains the radio & map light.  Get around to
installing my Motoleta steering wheel & it could look cool if not original.

Just one problem.  I have seen do it yourself veneer jobs that look good the
fist few weeks but age poorly.  I think it is a matter of the finish. Factory
wood pannels are finished with something that looks thick & adds depth to the
finished product.  Does anyone know what the finish is?  Is there any tricks to
installing veneer to dashes & the proper finsih that I should be aware of?

As far as the instrument pannel is concerened. Since the shape is slightly
concave, I was thinking of feathering the edges & holding the veneer in place
with the gauges.  That way I could remove it at a later time without
damaging the original pannel {pros - cons}.  I have seen some tacky home
done veneer jobs & I keep noticing that the finish on the wood itself is
responsible for much of the tacky flavour.  Any thoughts?

TeriAnn