Put me on mailing list!

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
From: mit-eddie!cadev6.intel.com!dbraun@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Doug Braun ~)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 90 10:36:42 PDT
My first posting:

I just bought a 1972 Triumph Spitfire (Mark IV).

The body, brakes, and engine are really good.  (Zero rust)

It needs work in the clutch, transmission, and exhaust.

I plan to do all the work myself.  I got the car partly to
diddle with since my other car (Acura) never breaks.

Here are some questions:

It gets a bad driveshaft vibration at about 45 MPH.
I looked at the U-joints and the prop shaft, and they do
not appear to be damaged or screwed up.  Is this a common problem
with this car?  I am certain that the differential and swing axle
bearings, joints, and gears are OK.

I need to replace the syncros.  The transmission grinds a lot,
but dies not pop out of gear or make any significant noise (once it
is in gear).  I have messed with transmissions in the past successfully.
Any ideas about the cost or difficulty of removing the transmission
and replacing the syncros?  Are there any other critical bearings or gears
I should replace while I have it apart?

The car was originally sold in Indiana. (It is now in California, of course).
It has no smog pump or catalytic converter.  The previous owner passed
a smog check last year (I saw the printout).  Was she lucky?  I.e., do
I theoretically need to retrofit the smog stuff?

Any other anecdotes and advice appreciated.

Doug Braun                              Intel Corp CAD
                                        408 765-4279

 / decwrl \
 | hplabs |
-| oliveb |- !intelca!mipos3!cadev4!dbraun
 | amd    |
 \ qantel /

 or:

 dbraun@scdt.intel.com