Mashed Britcars (was Mashed Morgans)

To: alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Mashed Britcars (was Mashed Morgans)
From: uunet!hsi.com!archer@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Garry Archer)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 90 09:20:46 EDT
All this talk of the Mashed Morgan brings to mind many, many heartbreaks I
have personally weathered when watching certain British cars getting trashed
for the sake of movies and television.

On rec.autos and on this e-mail list a year or two ago (cor blimey, time flies)
we had a discussion on the film "The Italian Job".  That film gave me
multiple misery.  Several Mini Coopers were trashed (including the three sent
rolling down the Italian Alps), at least two E-Type Jags, and most heartbreaking
of all, an Aston Martin (DB5, I think).  For Italian car fans, a Lambo Muira
was also destroyed.  I don't think any of them were  replicas (I can't
remember from our old discussion whether somebody said if any were).

What a waste!  "No, no... not the Aston.... give it to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....
argh, noooooooooooooooo (Mafia bulldozer strikes home, crash, tinkle, tinkle,
then over the side of the mountain road, boom, bang, kerang...)"

Then there is a clip of film I have seen in a couple of movies and television
shows.  Its of a beautiful white Jag Mk II driven over a high cliff and
seen plummeting bonnet first into the rocks below.  I first saw the clip
in the British TV series "The Saint" back in England 20 - 25 years ago (when
the car must have been pretty new back then).  I've seen it more recently on
"Saturday Night Live" in their "Toonces The Cat" sketches (when Toonces, who
really isn't a very good driver :-) swerves off the road and sends him, the
car and his human passengers into oblivion as described above...).

I've always wanted a Jag Mk II, so every time I see the clip I begin to
bawl me eyes out ....

Instead of destroying these cars, give 'em to me!!!

Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert