Re: 50-50 body work

To: miq@chromavac.csd.sgi.com
Subject: Re: 50-50 body work
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 90 11:26:32 PDT
>What's a 50-50 pint job?  I used to work in a very expensive paint shop and I
>still don't know what one is?

That's because you worked in an expensive paint shop, Miq...
A 50-50 paint job is one that looks just fine at 50 mph,
standing 50 feet away.  Peter Egan of Road & Track (get it
this month! his column is one of the funniest things I've
ever read!) suggested that, instead of using a point system
for concours cars, we adopt a foot system for judging our
own cars.  The number indicates how close you can get to
the vehicle and still have it look pretty good.  For example,
by this system I figure the Falcon has about a 100-foot paint
job, the race B has about a 10-foot paint job, your Sprites
have 6-inch paint jobs, etc.

As for the War of the Roses, someone said that the car they
destroyed was a replica.  Unfortunately, I know of no such
thing as a Morgan replica, but I can still hope...