Re: seat belt specs

To: Akkana <akkana@eeg.eeg.com>, british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: seat belt specs
From: richard welty <mit-eddie!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 90 18:19 EDT
    From: akkana@eeg.eeg.com (Akkana)

    richard welty writes:
    > moreover, you *cannot* reasonably get away without the anti-sub
    > strap if you're using a racing type shoulder harness; otherwise,
    > the shoulder belt will pull the lap belt up an unsafe amount.
    > many organizations will not permit use of racing-type harnesses
    > without the anti-sub straps.

    I definitely disagree with this.

this is allowable.

    With the way my seats are set up
    (seatback forward, not reclined at all; seat bottom extending fairly far
    forward) the anti-sub belt ends up pulling *forward and up* on the lap
    belt, not down.

then it varies from seat to seat; i'd believe that an X1/9 would
behave differently from my Alfa Milano.

    The anti-sub belt has a number of disadvantages, as well: it gets in the
    way when I try to move my legs around (e.g. to heel and toe),

anti-sub strap routing can have an effect; it's good to think about
how you want things set up before you start drilling holes in the floor,
certainly.  i'm not having problems of this sort, but my girlfriend
complains about the strap chafing against her left leg.  i think there's
a simple way to deal with this, though.

    and it
    makes the harness *much* more difficult to fasten (having that extra
    buckle in the stack means that you have to get everything lined up just
    right, which means that none of the five belts can be under tension,
    except that if the anti-sub belt isn't under tension then it's going
    to be difficult to adjust after you've managed to clip in ...)

i find that it works to leave the anti-sub strap and the right lap belt
in the desired position; loosen everything else up, clip it together,
tighten the left lap belt *a lot*, and then, finally, cinch up the
shoulder harness.

richard