News from the VTR Convention

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: News from the VTR Convention
From: Kirk Buecher <mit-eddie!hpgrla.gr.hp.com!kirkb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 14:11:40 mdt
It was a good day for Team.Net, members of the British Cars list, and
Triumph fans.

The Vintage Triumph Register autox was held yesterday at the Mountain
View Racetrack, 30 miles north of Denver, Colo.

Names/cars of the players, John Lye TR-4, Dr. Bob TR-6, mjb TR-4,
Chris Kent TR-4A, Kevin Spooner GT-6, and myself, Kirk Buecher Spitfire.

The course was close to 1 mile in length using the lower loop of the
track. Start/finish line was midpoint on the main straight, first turn
was a fast 90 degree right hander, then a group of offset gates, another
fast 90 degree right hander, more offset gates, straight, salamon, a
fast 180 degree right hander, long straight, slight bend and cross the
line. (John said that he was doing 80mph across the line on his second
run) This was a horsepower course and was set up to be simple. The only
problem was it was too long and about 80 Triumphs showed up to run. Fast
time of the day was 1:11 (by a souped up TR-8, I think), TR-2's and early
Spitfire's were running 1:40's and 1:50's. Thus we only were able to get
in two runs. :-(

The good news, John won the Modified under 2.2 liter class with a 1:13,
I claimed second with 1:19, (along with the fastest Spitfire honor, and
the faster than all the GT-6's honor). We think mjb won the Prepared
TR-4, TR-4A class with a 1:12 with a cone or two. Dr. Bob should
get a 1st, or 2nd in the Stock TR-5, 250, TR-6 class and Chris might have
a shot at an award in the Stock TR-4, TR-4A class. All of this is still
up in the air somewhat until the awards dinner tonight (Friday). Timing
and scoring was a mess.

It started to rain right at the end of the session which sent almost
everyone back to Boulder. After picking up cones and waiting for the
track to dry, they let those of us left, back on the full 1.7 mile layout
for almost 2 more hours. No passing allowed, but mjb, Dr. Bob, Chris and
I had a *great* time chasing each other. Would you believe that other than
the four of us, there were only four more cars! It was fun. :-)

That's it for now, more as details develop.

Kirk Buecher
'63 Spitfire Vintage Racer
Greeley, Colo