Re: Facet fuel pump

To: uiucuxc!vax.ftp.com!mason@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Nark Mason)
Subject: Re: Facet fuel pump
From: sgi!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 90 8:18:33 CDT

> If it only has 1 wire coming out of it then you have to pay attention to
> if it's a pisitive ground or negative ground. If it has 2 wires, measure
> the resistance from the body of the pump to each wire. If there's no
> resistance the your cars ground doesn't matter. I wonder if it'll pump
> the gas from the carbs to the tank if it's wired backwards...

Duh, right.  Right after I posted my original request, I noticed that
there were two wires, a black one and a red one with a positive tag.
I decided to wait til I got the thing home and slapped an ohmmeter on
it to make sure that the black wire was isolated from the case before
reposting.  It is isolated.  I never had a problem.  I was just too
slow to figure this out and too quick to post.  Mea Culpa and thanks
for your help.  BTW, this is a "solid state" pump which apparently
does have transisters in it, so it behooves one not to reverse
polarity.  I makes a clicking sound from the check valves.  Brain
Erickson has a ten-year-old one that is on its second MGB with no
maintenance at all.  It does not have points.  His only caution is
you should put a filter upstream of the pump, as it may be sensitive
to junk in the fuel.
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324