Re: Brit plates

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Brit plates
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 90 14:04:48 pdt
>>From Roland:
>>I think
>>it's an MG but I'm not sure.  It has clamshell fenders and big wire

Roger responds:

  >Are there any bumpers? The T series were the first to sprout bumpers.
  >(other than the larger cars) How about the front valance? flat? louvers?
  >Raised area w/medalion (P and N types). Does is have a slab-type petrol
  >tank on the rear, or just body? 2 or 4 seats?

I'll check for louvers and bumpers tonight.  It's hard to tell for sure,
but the madalion appears raised. The car is definitely a 2-seat
roadster and on the smallish side.  The rear bodywork is smooth and
roundish without a slab gas tank.

>>the license plate number starts with MG.

  >The first characters on 30's British plates were specific to the issuing
  >office, usually a some kind of town or district. My PA was originaly
  >registered in Belfast, on Oct. 7, 1934, as CZ6385. The CZ being the code
  >for Belfast. MG was the issuing code for University Motors, the biggest
  >dealer of MG Motor Cars. Therefore, the car you saw was originally sold
  >by University Motors.

I assume from this that cars registered in the UK retain their plate
I.D. for life.  If that's not the case, then it's possible that the
car in question may have contemporary plates.

More details later.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilan.hp.com