Re: [Bricklin] Air door problem

To: jblair1948@cox.net, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Air door problem
From: Scott Isensee <isensee@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 18:02:12 -0500 (EST)
I had a few minutes to work on the Bricklin today and did this additional
troubleshooting. I slowly added air to the tank and tried the passenger door
every 10 pounds. The solenoid works fine up until the pressure hits 80 pounds
then stops working. So the problem is definitely somehow related to pressure.

 I removed the output air line from the solenoid and that had no effect. So
the problem does not lie with the door cylinder or latch.

I ran a ground directly to the battery with no effect so it is not a ground
problem.

I haven't had time to try the other things you suggested yet.

When I talked to Terry last month, he said that many Bricklins still have
electric latches which pull a lot of current and the wires in that circuit
aren't as heavy as they ought to be. As a result, the solenoids in the air box
are often getting only around 6 volts yet they typically work just fine with
that. I have air latches so am getting a full 12 volts to the solenoids which
should be more than enough.

This is really puzzling.

Scott