Re: no hot air from heater

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: no hot air from heater
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:31:59 -0400
At 11:11 PM 7/18/2005 EDT, GLCurley@aol.com wrote:

>What could cause the heater to not work?  I don't want to freeze on the trip
>to the Great White North next week.  Just kidding.  Actually, I want to
flush
>the cooling system and make sure the heater core gets flushed out.  But
there
>seems to be no heat coming from the heater.   I drove around for about 1/2
hr
>in 90 degree outside temperatures and the engine temps were 180 while
driving
>and 210 sitting still, but no heat from the heater.  The sliders are set to
>heat or defrost and all the way to the warmer side.  Fan is running, and
there
>is water in the radiator.  Is there a cable or valve that I need to check
>somewhere?  Does water run through the heater core all the time or only
when the
>climate control is set to heat?  Thanks.

George,

There is a valve in the heater hose lines just before the hose enters the
firewall.  This is vac. operated.  I'm not sure if it is on when vac,
or off when vac.  But I'd pull the vac line and turn the heater on and
see if there is any vac. there.  If you have vac. there and no heat,
there are only 2 possibilites: 1. a bad control valve - which if it
hasn't been replaced is probably the case, or 2. air trapped in the heater
core and water not flowing through the core.

If no vac. at the heater control valve, look on the front of the heater box,
you'llI see a little rectangular switch.  This is the vac. control switch
to the heater control valve.  Pull the line going to it (don't know which
one) and see if there is vac.  Then watch as you move the heat lever from
cold to hot.  There is an arm that is supposed to activate the switch.
If it's doing that, then check to see if you have vac. on the output
side.

If the lever on the heater box is not moving or not switching the switch
on the front of the heater box, then you cable to the heater controls
need to be adjusted, replaced, etc.

Let us know what you find.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic