AMC 360 and Headers - Hedman 98310

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: AMC 360 and Headers - Hedman 98310
From: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 20:04:26 -0500
While working on my Edelbrock 1406 adjustments the exhaust pipe blew through
the clamp on the manifold.  I really did not want to spend much time with
repairing what was there so I decided to go ahead and purchase headers for the
engine.  The model that I ended up with was Hedman 98310.  It was recommended
for all the AMC engines with a 360 so it seemed like it would work. It is the
complete kit with the reducer from 3 inch collector to 2 1/4 inch pipe and all
gaskets.  They arrived today and seem to be very wide at the top.  When
looking at the engine it appears that the header may contact the steering
column.  It could be deceiving since the existing manifold is there and when
connected they may be tapered in towards the engine. Has anyone had any
experience doing this on the 360 engine?

I am also curious if the existing pipe diameter under the seats since this is
where the connection will be from the reducer.  I plan at some point to
replace the rest of the pipe, but I would like to be able to drive the car a
little before I get into more major work.  As always one repair leads to
another.

I will try to update the 1406 settings that I ended up on after I can get this
taken care of.

Greg 0036