RE: Battery dies

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Battery dies
From: "Early, Stephen" <Stephen.Early@mbna.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:55:38 -0400
Your car should be able to sit for weeks and still start right up.  A
healthy car battery will hold a charge for weeks and even a couple months.
I have several cars a boat and an airplane that all sit for weeks at a time
between uses.  All still start right up.  I'd check the following:

Verify your battery and charging system are healthy.  How old is the
battery?  Is it being fully charged when the car is running?  Are the
connections clean?  Are the cables in good shape?

If your battery is healthy, your problem is most likely your air compressor
running with the engine off.  The compressor can kill the battery in only a
few minutes due to its high current draw.  If it cycles only a couple times
with the engine off you can end up with a battery that won't start your car.
I have an on off switch on mine under the front bumper.  I turn it off when
the car is sitting.  There is plenty of air in the tank to operate the doors
several times without the compressor.  But if your compressor is running
while the car sits, you have an air leak that needs to be fixed.

As for starting a car that's been sitting, there should still be plenty of
fuel in the carb to start the car without excessive cranking.  Verify your
choke is working.  Make sure you depress the accelerator to the floor four
or five times before cranking.  Each time you depress the pedal you're
squirting raw fuel into the carb and it's this 'prime' that will help the
engine start quickly.  Pressing the pedal is also necessary to set the
choke.

Stephen I. Early
Portfolio Conversions
Technology Sector-MBNA America